Tuesday, June 1, 2010

lesson learned

So the other day, while with my good friends Mary and Rachel, I learned something.
We were driving around to find somewhere to take Mary's pictures. We were chit chatting away, when I realized I looked very similar to a homeless person. So, I simply said 
       "I'm sorry I look like a      homeless person."
Now, what I got from what Rachel said might not have been what she meant for it to be, maybe it was. But it has stuck with me ever since. She said,
  "Never apologize for             how you look."
I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Never should we be ashamed of who we are. You are unique, and nobody compares to you. Every single person has their own quirks. Every person is amazing in their own way.


So, since that conversation, I have been striving to love myself. To love my flaws, and to learn to make them better. I'm learning to find the beautiful things in people, instead of seeing the bad.


Thanks, Rach. I'm sure I took it quite a bit deeper than you had meant for it to be, but thank you. It has opened my eyes to a whole new way of life. And so far, I'm liking it. (:

1 comment:

Rachel Wade Child said...

Alex, you are such a great soul. I think it's awesome that you are able to learn things just from peoples offhand comments. Even though I said it, I don't think I truly realized what I was saying at the time. And you did. Thanks for teaching me a lesson. I really have been struggling with this concept for a while. You are amazing!