Sunday, January 30, 2011

i like this.




I loved you, so I drew these tides of men into my hands
                 and wrote my will across the sky in stars
To earn you Freedom, the seven pillared worthy house,
                 that your eyes might be shining for me
                                                         When we came.
 

Death seemed my servant on the road, till we were near
                 and saw you waiting:
When you smiled, and in sorrowful envy he outran me
                 and took you apart:
                                                      Into his quietness.
 

Love, the way-weary, groped to your body, our brief wage
                 ours for the moment
Before earth's soft hand explored your shape, and the blind
                 worms grew fat upon
                                                         Your substance.
 

Men prayed me that I set our work, the inviolate house,
                 as a memory of you.
But for fit monument I shattered it, unfinished: and now
The little things creep out to patch themselves hovels
                                            in the marred shadow
                                                              Of your gift.





-T.E. Lawrence
Seven Pillars of Wisdom


No comments: