Sunday, March 6, 2011

narwhals.

For reasons unknown, I seem to have an odd obsession with anything mythical and/or weird. I don't know when my love for narwhals began, but when it did it struck hard. Kind of how the j-biebs-fiev took over the world, or how the Black Plague seized Europe.


Anyway. I received a letter from Brad.. err.. Elder Dorius on Friday. He asked me how work was, and if I had any new animal knowledge to share with him. Conveniently enough I was working at the moment, so I went and pulled out one of our giant books filled with random facts and pictures of just about any animal you could imagine. As I was flipping through the pages trying to find something awesome, I was greeted with an image similar to this:
I almost peed my pants. I had absolutely no idea that they were real. All this time I had simply imagined them as wonderful whales with unicorn horns, swimming through the ocean having a jolly good time. Completely imaginary. I figured that somebody had dreamt them up, and spread their idea with the world. And that the world had accepted their creation, and loved them as much as I did. But nope. They're real. 


I was so shocked that I had to text Mary and ask her if she knew they were real. {She shares the same infinite love that I do.} Thankfully I wasn't alone, for she thought that they were mythical creatures as well. As our conversation continued, we came to the conclusion that both unicorns and dragons had to be real as well, which is when we decided we're going to become narwhal/unicorn/dragon hunters. We're going to travel the world/possibly the galaxy in search of them. If you feel that you want to join, just let either of us know. We'd be glad to include you.


After I texted Mary, I had to text Scott and ask if he knew. I don't know what made me think to text him. I guess somewhere in my heart knew that he loved them as well. When I shared my shocking news with him, this is the message I received: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. I felt slightly stupid.. apparently people actually knew that they existed. He informed me that he did a report on them in like, first grade. Ok, not really first grade. I don't know when. But still. Who the freak actually knows that they exist?!


*Sigh* oh! I want to clarify with all of you narwhal lovers out there: Their horns aren't actually horns growing out of their heads. They're tusks.. it's their one and only tooth. {Now that I've got the nerd part of this post out of the way we'll continue..}


But yeah. I hope that you feel as if everything you ever knew about this world has been shattered. Because that's how I felt when I first discovered it. 




I want to be this guy's friend:



And just for good measure, this video had to be included. Every time I hear the world narwhal this is what comes into my head. Props go to Mary and her roommate Jess for introducing it to me. I hope you enjoy it.








peaceandblessings.

2 comments:

Berkley Anne Sumner said...

HAHAHAHAHHAH love :D

Mary Dawn said...

haha. i love scott's response. and. hey. whoa. idk if we'd be happy to let anyone join. this is going to be a pretty exclusive excursion... lol. but scott can come.