Monday, February 14, 2011

veeday.

In past years I have been found curled up in my bed, sulking away at the misfortune of having to be surrounded by the billions of LD couples skipping around and feeding each other chocolate covered strawberries. {LD=loveydovey}. I would sob and sulk, and wonder who invented this stupid holiday, and send curses to calendar makers all across the country for putting that microscopic valentines day at the bottom of the 14th, and reminding us all of what we really don't want to remember. OK. Maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration.. I never actually cried, or wished misfortunes upon calendar designers. But I did become quite peeved because I hated it so much. I find it quite funny how upset it makes some people.. mainly single females who feel that every misfortune to have ever graced them was caused by some egotistical male who didn't deserve to be walking around. 

This year, I decided to take a new approach. I figured that if I'm going to be single I might as well enjoy it, because I'm not going to hate something that I'm stuck with. Since it seems that the batteries in my relationship meter died while it was on single mode, there's no point in sobbing about it. Although, if I weren't single, I don't exactly know what I'd be doing on this fine evening instead of sitting in my room blogging, stalking the few people on FB who I have a feeling will be engaged by the end of the night, and attempting to study for the sociology test I'm never going to pass. Maybe I'd get dressed up. Go out to dinner. I do know for a fact though that I'd sing this song to my special someone:

 I don't tell anyone about the way you hold my hand,
I don't tell anyone about the things that we have planned.
I won't tell anybody, won't tell anybody.
They wanna push me down, they wanna see you fall down.

I won't tell anybody that you turn my world around,
I won't tell anyone that your voice is my favorite sound.
I won't tell anybody, won't tell anybody.
They wanna see us fall, they wanna see us fall down.

That's just a slight example of what I would do. I don't know. It's not like I sit an daydream about my perfect Valentine's date. I've never had the need to. Maybe I'll look in the mirror and sing that to myself tonight. Then hold my own hand as I drift off to sleep. Solid plan.

Anyway.. moving on.

Everyone always says that Valentine's day is for your "significant other." Fear not. In my sociology class last week we learned that significant others "are the role players with whom we have close personal relationships." Sure, most people interpret that as their better half, but seeing as I don't have one, I decided to give some lovin' to my family and friends. So I made some little cardies, and whipped up some cookies and delivered them. Quite fun it was. 


Always make sure you've got some good tunes to accompany you in the process.
The baby hearts were my favorite. Shout out to Maddi for letting me use her cookie cutter.
Alright. Try to not judge too harshly, for I used store-bought icing.


So, I hope you all had a grand time with your significant other. Whether it be a boyf, girlf...? {is that awkward?}, hubby, wife, family, or just a good friend. I hope it was spectacular. And if you spent your night like I did, I hope you had an enjoyable time FB stalking those lovely couples who you secretly wish, but refuse to admit, you could be like, and hopefully your test studying went well.

Until next year, Happy veeday. (:


5 comments:

Alex Obering said...

Hahahaha oh my goodness this is adorable.

Anonymous said...

agreed. i loved it al-face! my fave part was the solid music choice! and i also liked the cookie completely covered in sprinkles. soooo cute.

Mary Dawn said...

you're amazing al. the cookies and cards were the cutest things i've ever seen. way to embrace veeday. :) and haha. i'm curious. what is the rest of that playlist called? nicki is a freaking...? lol.

Alexis said...

mel: Those were actually just the sprinkles that had fallen onto the counter. so I scooped them up. ha!

Mar: it's called nicki is a freaking babe. ha! and thanks (:

Tori Anne said...

I LOVE ALEX HOSKINS! everything about this post is just so great... i really enjoyed it. you rock.